About the course
It is a legal requirement that all persons preparing dangerous goods for transport, such as lithium batteries, receive the training mandated by ADR Chapter 1.3 and function-specific training mandated by the IMDG Code.
Our online training course will teach you how to ship lithium batteries to the UN provisions, using ADR as the main reference whilst also covering the IMDG Code multimodal implications for sea transport.
We recommend that if you are shipping lithium batteries by sea that you also complete IMDG Code awareness training. If you are only shipping lithium batteries by road, then this course is sufficient by itself to comply with the training requirements of ADR Chapter 1.3.
The course covers what lithium batteries are, why they are potentially dangerous and how they are described in the regulations. Using our straightforward interactive tools we'll guide you in selecting the most appropriate packaging (both UN and non-UN) for your shipment, help you to determine what marks and labels are required and how to complete any required dangerous goods documentation.
Full video examples show you the main packing methods for lithium batteries.
The course is entirely online and allows you to work through at your own pace. You can return and come back to the course at any point and pick up where you left off.
Downloadable guidance is included within the course and we'll also send you a copy in the post for ease of reference.
Your performance is assessed at the end of each section, so there's no big test at the end. A certificate is provided immediately upon successful completion of all sections, exercises and questions.
Included in the course:
Exclusive access to our online Lithium Battery Shipping Tool!
This helps you choose a classification, appropriate packaging, and the marks and labels required.
- How to navigate the course (2:18)
- Our Lithium battery shipping guide books (1:13)
- How to access our online shipping tool (0:59)
- What is "ADR"? (2:20)
- Link to download ADR
- Changes to the regulations from 2023 (2:16)
- What are "dangerous goods"? (1:02)
- Introduction completion (0:15)
- Introduction questions
- How to choose packaging via the packing instructions
- Packing example: (partially) exempt waste (9:42)
- Packing example: special provision 188 (6:41)
- Packing exercise: special provision 188 (0:05)
- Additional packing examples: special provision 188 (6:44)
- Packing to exemptions completion (0:07)
- Packing to exemptions questions
- Using tested packagings - what the certification marks mean
- Package marks and labels
- Overpacks (2:57)
- Information required in the dangerous goods transport document
- Documentation retention requirements
- Multimodal requirements: sea transport
- Multimodal requirements: air transport
- Packing lithium batteries example (full rules) (8:23)
- Packing lithium batteries: exercise (0:05)
- Packing lithium batteries and equipment examples (full rules) (7:37)
- Packing lithium batteries: completion (0:07)
- Packing lithium batteries: questions
Easy to follow guidance that explains lithium battery classification, packing, marking and labelling via flow-charts and diagrams.
Written by our experienced Dangerous Goods Safety Advisers.
Available to download as a pdf, plus we'll post you a hard copy!
Course access is granted immediately upon purchase and the course takes approximately 90-120 minutes to complete. Once completed, you can download your certificate straight away.
The course price is £75.00 per user excluding VAT.
A VAT invoice will be emailed to you automatically following your purchase. The rate of VAT is determined by your location.
This course can be purchased by itself, or, to accompany any of our ADR awareness courses or IMDG Code course
Please click here if you would like to pay for multiple users via emailed invoice (we offer discounts for multiple purchases!) or pay via invoice instead of by card online, and click here to purchase on behalf of someone else online, or purchase multiple courses online.
For bulk purchases we can also customise this course to meet your exact company requirements, please contact us for further information.
If you purchase courses in bulk from us, we'll set you up with access to our customer portal, so you can see who's enrolled and completed the courses you have purchased.
You can then export this data in a variety of formats for your internal training records.